Saturday, October 23, 2010

Podiatrist trip?

How much does it cost for a podiatrist to fix an in-grown toenail? Do they give you an Rx for codeine? How many? How much does the Rx cost?Podiatrist trip?
If you are covered by insurance, the treatment for an ingrown toenail is covered by insurance. If you don't have insurance then usually it can cost anywhere from $150-180 to have the procedure done. It is done in the office under local anesthesia. A pain killer is usually given afterwards for a few days. The prescription can be a generic which should not cost more than $10
They charge different prices for different stuff. I've never had codeine for my ingrown toenail problems, my doctor is painless. Prices depend on where you live and your insurance. Whether you purchase name brand or generic.
Have you tried to fix it yourself? I'd suggest that you try that first. I've had it done several times and now I can do it myself. Where the nail is inflamed or hurts, big the gunk out along the nail-bed in that area. Cut a "V" in the middle/top of the nail - this relieves the pressure and helps a great deal.
I had mine removed - It was a few years ago and it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $400. They use numbing agents to deaden the toes so you don't feel a thing.
There was no codeine, however - I don't remember taking pain medication at all. Aspirin or Tylenol might have been suggested. Neosporin only, no oral antibiotics. Mine were not infected when I had the procedure though, so that make a huge difference and/or increase the cost.
I remember having my toes bandaged and not being able to wear proper shoes.
Call the podiatrist and ask. Fees will be different everywhere, (varying even between docs in your area), but they should just quote you one over the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment